Ever wondered who makes the best chainsaw in the world? Find out below the right chainsaw for your use, this expert review will help you pick the right model for you.
Purchasing a chainsaw might look like a complicated task for the normal homeowner or DIY expert, if you’re just starting to sift through the wide range of chainsaw details online you’ll quickly understand that there are a lot of variables and also choices to think about when acquiring a chainsaw.
That’s why I chose to take a seat and invest the time to write you a chainsaw overview to offer you an unbiased approach and buying instructions so you can focus on the proper chainsaw suitable for your requirements.
If you’re wanting to buy a chainsaw but do not know how to begin one of the first considerations is the appropriate location you will be using the chainsaw in.
- Low kick back 12" Oregon Bar and chain: for construction and outdoor cutting applications
- HIGH EFFICIENCY BRUSHLESS MOTOR: maximizes run time and motor life and chain guage 0.043,chain speed 25.2 ft/s
- Tool free chain tensioning and Bar tightening knob: for proper Bar clamping force
- Compact and lightweight design: Only 8.8 lbs. for maximum user control and comfort.This is a bare tool item, Battery Sold Separately
- Chain speed:25.2 ft/s
- LIGHTWEIGHT DESIGN: At just over 6 pounds, the compact, easy-to-wield design is perfectly suited for your small limb trimming needs
- POWERFUL TRIMMING: Squeeze the trigger to engage the 8-amp electric motor and cut through small branches or saplings
- PUSH BUTTON OILER: Avoid the mess and quickly disperse the right amount of oil to lubricate the 14-inch, safety-conscious, low-kickback bar
- QUICK TENSIONER: External tension adjuster makes fast work of changing the chain's tension
- WRAPAROUND HANDGUARD: Handle is covered by a handguard to keep your hands away from flying debris
- NO ASSEMBLY REQUIRED: Comes fully assembled ready to cut
- RELIABLE ENGINE: 42cc 2-cycle gas powered engine with low-kickback 16-inch bar and chain tames medium to large-sized branches. Perfect for the suburban homeowner!
- COMFORTABLE OPERATION: Equipped with a 5-point anti-vibration system and cushion wrap handle for more balance and comfort while operating.
- QUICKSTART TECHNOLOGY: Make pull starts easier to rev up and get right to cutting.
- AUTOMATIC OILER: The adjustable automatic oiler keeps the chain in quality condition.
- EASY MAINTENANCE: Tool-free access to filter and spark plug.
- CARRY CASE INCLUDED: Handy heavy-duty case allows easier transportation and storage. Bar and chain also included with purchase.
- PITCH SIZE: 0.375 inch.
- The RM4216 Rebel is the go-to chainsaw for the suburban homeowner
- Tame medium to large-sized branches with a reliable 42cc 2-cycle gas-powered engine and low-kickback 16-inch bar and chain
- The ergonomic design paired with the cushion wrap handle makes this chainsaw balanced, maneuverable, and comfortable to operate
- Equipped with QuickStart technology to make pull starts easier and pitch is 3/8 inch LP
- This chainsaw comes with a handy, heavy-duty carrying case, and bar and chain oil
- Our GREENWORKS brushless motor provides your GREENWORKS tool with longer run-time, more torque and more power. This leads to less wear and tear, extending the life-time of the tool
- Compatible with GreenWorks G-MAX 40V Li-Ion System offering a range of tools to choose from; Run TimeUp to 90 Cuts
- Brushless motor delivers up to 30% more torque for the greatest cutting performance; Oil Tank : Translucent
- Brushless motor design offers up to 70% less vibration for user comfort while working. One battery powers more than 25 tools. Battery Capacity-2Ah
- Chain brake and low kickback chain for increased user safety. Electronic chain brake prevents from accidental kick-backs
- High Performance G-MAX 40V Lithium-Ion Battery delivers fade-free power with no memory loss after charging
- Robust 12-inch steel chain and bar with tool-less chain tensioning offers ease of use while delivering the highest cutting performance
- 3/8-inch chain pitch delivers the right amount of capabilities to get those limbs trimmed and cut with minimal kickback
- Automatic oiler applies oil to bar and chain when needed to ensure durability and optimal use with a translucent oil tank for clear view of oil level.Wrap around handle for multiple cutting positions to provide ease of use when trimming at different angles
- 40V G-Max and 40V Lithium-Ion Batteries are not cross compatible; this tool is compatible with the G-Max 2.0 Ah battery (29462) and the G-Max 4.0 Ah battery (29472)
- X-TORQ - Delivers lower fuel consumption and reduced exhaust emission levels in accordance with the world´s most stringent environmental regulations
- SMART START - The engine and starter have been designed so the machine starts quickly with minimum effort
- AIR INJECTION - Centrifugal air cleaning system removes larger dust and debris particles before reaching the air filter. This results in reduced air filter cleanings and improved engine life
- LOWVIB - System designed to reduce vibration levels to the operator, which lessens fatigue
- TOOL LESS CHAIN TENSIONING - Quick and easy chain tensioning and assembling of the bar and the chain without using any tools
If you’re like me, you’ve most likely been a little aggravated with finding one resource of details to answer all your inquiries centered around buying a chainsaw.
Out of frustrations, I made a decision to source and also produce the best informational chainsaw buying guide with the objective of making the process of buying a chainsaw as very easy and feasible for the ordinary house owner.
The one point I intend to stress prior to us getting going is that buying a chainsaw is based entirely on your particular job requirements, spending plan, and physical stature.
It’s a not as straightforward an issue of matter of opinion regarding what chainsaw you should purchase.
There are some set policies to apply and my intent is to clear up the confusion with this chainsaw purchasing guide.
A chainsaw isn’t a toy, it’s a tool utilized to cut timber so understanding your needs is the first step while doing so. My objective is to help you limit your needs and also offer you a basic understanding of what a chainsaw is while providing you standards to speed up your buying choice.
By the time you finish this guide, I’m positive that you’ll have all the information you require in order to choose the ideal chainsaw for your task. So let’s start and also delve into the art of acquiring a chainsaw.
What is a chainsaw?
The chainsaw is a very effective tree and branch cutting power tool. It consists of an engine, described as the power head; powering a steel chain, driven by a centrifugal clutch, with a chain walking around a groove in the guide bar at fast speeds.
When the relocating chain reaches wood, its sharp teeth are dragged throughout the surface area, reducing the timber. The chain cannot be secured as well as hence the reason why chainsaws are one of the most harmful hand-held power tools on the planet.
Exactly how does a chainsaw do the job?
Gas power chainsaws normally have a two-stroke engine, which incidentally is what lawnmowers, snowmobiles, and also outboard engines utilize, for that reason they are loud, yet with the appropriate hearing protection you’ll be well safeguarded from the noise. Much more on that later on.
Who uses a chainsaw?
Chainsaws are used by a vast array of people consisting of house owners, arborists, gardeners, landscapers, loggers, firefighters, carpenters, power saw musicians as well as people just like you. If you have a requirement to reduce or trim trees, after that you probably need a chainsaw.
Top 10 Chainsaws on the Market
Worx-16-Inch electric chainsaw comes first in this list as the best chainsaw on the market. Unlike others, it comes with tremendous features you cannot find in other models. One thing we loved about it is its robust and lightweight design.
As a result, it is best for first-time users. It is also suitable for casual lumbar jacks who are searching for an effective tool that they can use to do simple tasks such as cut firewood, trim trees, clear bushes among other farm duties. It is an electric tool and this tells you that it doesn’t require batteries.
The other surprising thing you will like about it is the fact that it is very safe. It features an inbuilt chain brake which protects you in case there is a kickback. The chain brake is very effective and stops the chain immediately there is an improper contact.
Another major selling point of this saw is that it has an inbuilt and automatic oiler which offers frequent lubrication to both the bar and the chain.
This is a very important feature because it boosts the durability of the chain. Apart from that, it features a patented auto-tension system which provides the ideal tension when you are working. Lastly, it comes with a 3-year warranty. Check the review here.
|Powerful||Only light jobs|
|Easy to use|
|3 Year warranty|
Husqvarna 460 Rancher comes second as one of the top-rated chainsaws you can find today. One of the most exciting features of this tool is that it comes with an adjustable oil pump which enables you to manage the flow of oil according to the task you are doing and also according to the climatic conditions.
Apart from that, it features a quick release air filter which allows you to replace and clean the air filter.
The other wonderful thing we liked about it is that it provides a quit cordless operation. You should also note that it provides up to 10 hours of continuous operation. The fact that it has reduced vibrations means that you can use it for many hours without getting fatigued.
The other remarkable thing about this chainsaw is that it also comes with a smart start feature which saves your time when starting the machine.
The X-TORQ provides low fuel consumption unlike when you are using other chainsaws. Moreover, the X-torq engine provides the required exhaust emission levels which are recommended by the world’s environmental regulations.
This makes the machine friendly to the environment. The other outstanding feature is the centrifugal air cleaning system which helps in the removal of large debris and dust particles before they reach the air filter. This leads to a reduced air filter cleaning and also boosts the durability of the engine.
|Fuel efficient||Bar & Chain can be tricky to install|
|Easy to start|
This one is another bestseller chainsaw which comes with amazing features you can’t find in similar products. To start with, it is pocket-friendly and this makes it suitable for those who cannot afford expensive electric chainsaws.
The 15 Amp motor provides an excellent cutting performance just like the high-end models. Additionally, it features a patented auto-tension chain system which prevents over tightening. It remains at the required tension even after using it for a long time.
To make your work easier, it comes fully assembled and this means that you can use it immediately after getting it out of the box. In addition, it comes with an inbuilt oil reservoir which features an oil level indicator.
The oil tank can hold up to 200 ml of oil. Again, it comes with a low kickback bar and a chain brake to enhance safety.
The machine is very light but it lacks anti-vibration features. This means that you cannot use it for many hours due to fatigue. Finally, yet importantly, it comes with a 3 years manufacturer’s warranty.
|Lightweight||Spare parts hard to find|
|15 amp motor|
If you are searching for a powerful and effective chainsaw, Dewalt DCCS620B might be what you need. It is powered by a 20Volts rechargeable battery which allows it to provide an impressive cutting performance.
The good thing is that you won’t wait for it for a long time to get fully charged since it takes a very short time to get fully charged. Apart from the battery, it also comes with a bar length of 12inches which means that it is longer than other battery-powered chainsaws.
It also comes with incredible safety features which include an on/off switch, chain lock and also a safe chain cover which keeps the device safe when it is not in use.
Again, as a measure of safety, it features a chain lock which minimizes the amount of kickback. The chain is very sharp which means that you won’t need to spend a lot of time when sharpening.
Lastly, it comes with bar tightening knob and free chain tension for a sturdy clamping force.
|Compact and lightweight||Light jobs only|
|Chain speed 25ft per second|
|3 years warranty|
With a powerful X-torq engine and a 20-inch bar, Husqvarna 455, 20 is undoubtedly among the most preferred chainsaws by many farmers, ranchers, and homeowners.
One of the most extraordinary features of this model is that it has amazing anti-vibrations technology. The rugged build quality allows it to work perfectly with different bar lengths varying from 13 inches to 24-inch bar. As a result, it is very versatile and can be used for different tasks. It also comes with a centrifugal air cleaning system which helps in the removal of large debris and dust particles.
The other unbelievable thing about this model is that it uses a smart start engine which allows it to start quickly. Again, the X-torq engine provides lower fuel consumptions.
The ergonomic handle allows you to use it comfortably for many hours. It also comes with an adjustable automatic oiler which you can’t find in many chainsaws. It also comes with different safety to ensure that you are well protected as you use the machine.
One of these safety features is the chain catcher which catches the chain when it jumps off. The other one is the right-hand guard which protects your hands in case the chain breaks. It also prevents twigs or branches from interfering with your grip.
|Power X Torque Engine|
This is among the most effective chainsaws you can find on the market. It uses steel bucking blades which are very strong.
You can comfortably use it to make up to 150 cuts when the 2AH battery is fully charged. If you are searching for the best machine that you can use to cut big trees, Greenworks Pro GCS80420 is the best.
Another spectacular thing about it is that it uses DigiPro brushless motors which are very reliable since they provide similar performance to a 45cc gas engine. It is worth mentioning that it had a bar length of 18 inches which makes it suitable for different cutting jobs.
Moreover, it features a long-lasting metal wrap which covers the handle. It also comes with an electric chain brake which provides safe operation. Apart from the chain brake, it also features a safety on/off feature which also ensures that you are secure. Just like other Greenworks products, this one also comes with a 4 years warranty which covers the machine against any malfunctions.
|Powerful brushless motor||A bit heavy|
|Excellent Bar Length|
|Suitable for wide range of jobs|
Black + Decker LCS1240 is another awesome chainsaw that comes with an automatic oiling system and a low kickback Oregon chain. In addition, it also comes with a tool-free chain tensioning system.
This means that the chain is able to maintain itself even without your input. You will also find that there is a window on the oil chamber which allows you to check the oil levels conveniently. The handle is fully wrapped to ensure that you are comfortable when cutting.
It is among the best cordless chainsaws that use a 40 volt 2 AH Max Lithium battery. The best thing about this battery is that it takes about 45 minutes to get fully charged. It also an indicator that shows you the battery levels when charging.
If you are searching for a high-quality machine that you can use for simple jobs such as trimming, pruning and cutting fallen limbs, Black + Decker LCS1240 will be a great option because it uses a 12-inch bar which is suitable for those jobs. Lastly, it comes with a user manual which is very useful for those who have never used a chainsaw before.
|Lightweight||Not suitable for heavy jobs|
|Auto oil system|
This one is another advanced battery-powered chainsaw from DEWALT. It is a cordless chainsaw which has a powerful motor and doesn’t use brushes. If you are in need of a cutting tool that you can use in outdoor cutting duties or when you are doing construction, it is one of the best.
Firstly, it features a 16 inch Oregon bar and a bar lighting knob which provides a sturdy clamping force. It also comes with a chain brake which provides kickback protection. Anyone in need of a chainsaw that is lightweight and one that has an ergonomic design will find it useful.
Apart from the design, it has an auto-oiling feature which provides continuous lubrication as you use the machine. The quarter-turn oil cap provides a quick oil refill. However, it doesn’t come with a battery and charger and this means that you will need to purchase them separately.
Dewalt 670It is backed by a 3 years warranty which means that it among the rare saws you can rely on. You can get it from Amazon today at a discounted price.
|Compact and lightweight||Light jobs only|
|Chain speed 25ft per second|
|3 years warranty|
This one uses a 12-inch steel chain bar which is very strong. The tool-less chain tensioning provides unmatched cutting experience. It also makes the machine easy to use especially for starters. The other splendid feature is the automatic oiler which applies oil to the bar to enhance durability. It also features a translucent oil tank which allows you to check the oil levels easily.
The handle is well covered to give you multiple cutting positions. It also makes your work easier when cutting. Again, it uses a G-Max 40v Lithium Ion Battery which provides a fade-free power. Unlike others, this one doesn’t have an automatic chain brake feature.
Instead, it uses a plastic guard which is located in front of the grip handle. The problem with this plastic guard is that it will not be able to protect you from a kickback which means that the safety of this chainsaw is not guaranteed.
If you are searching for a chainsaw with a high cutting capacity, you won’t regret investing in this one. You will also find that it is very quiet and powerful. Lastly, it comes with a 4 years warranty which means that you will get value for your money.
|Ergonomic handle||Plastic guards|
|Easy to Use|
|Fade Free Power|
Husqvarna is another chainsaw that you can rely on for all your cutting tasks. Just like other machines from this company, this one also comes with a smart start engine which allows it to start quickly. It also features a start/stop button which makes it easy to use. Apart from that, it comes with a snap-lock cylinder cover which will save you time when cleaning and when changing the spark plugs.
It also comes with a centrifugal air cleaning system which helps in removal of large dust particles and debris before they reach the air filter. As a result, the engine can last for a long time. You also need to note that the machine uses an X-torq engine which doesn’t consume a lot of fuel. It is very friendly to the environment because it provides low exhaust emission levels. The lightweight design allows you to use it for long hours without getting fatigued.
The side mounted chain tension control allows it to maintain the required tension. When buying this machine, you are sure that you are investing in a high-performance chainsaw that will allow cutting tree trunks of different sizes. It is a bit expensive but as you can see here, it has mind-blowing features, unlike other models.
|Side mounted tension control|
|Reduced exhaust emission|
|Centrifugal air cleaning system|
Best Gas Chainsaw
Gasoline-powered power saws incorporate power and movement. They range from light-duty designs to professional-grade saws that can drop huge trees. A gasoline-powered chainsaw cranks with a pull-start as well as have a two-cycle engine that operates on a mixture of oil and also gas. You mix the fuel yourself or buy premixed gas.
One of the most popular brands of gas-powered chainsaws is the Husqvarna range. In particular, according to Chainsaws Direct the Husqvarna 435 16 inches 40 cc was one of the top selling gas chainsaws in 2018.
The Husqvarna 435 is easy to start and has low vibration and is suitable for most chainsaw activities around the home.
Best Electric Chainsaw
Electric chainsaws are good for tiny tasks– cutting, trimming and also light cutting– needing much less power. They’re quieter than gasoline-powered saws, easier to begin as well as require much less upkeep. You’ll locate both corded and also cordless ranges.
A cordless chainsaw such as the Dewalt DCSS 620PI offers much better movement, and also recent renovations in voltage and batteries have greatly enhanced performance. However, the battery still includes weight as well as restrictions operating time. You might require to reenergize the battery or swap it with a fresh one, depending upon the amount of job you’re doing.
|TASK||GAS CHAINSAW REQUIRED||ELECTRIC CHAINSAW REQUIRED|
|Small tree felling||30cc to 40cc||Medium to Large Electric|
|Moderate tree felling||45cc and higher||Medium to Large Electric|
|Large Logs||50cc and higher||Not Advised|
|Light firewood under 10"||35cc to 45cc||Large Electric|
|Medium firewood 10" - 16"||40cc to 50cc||Large Electric|
|Heavy Duty||Call a Tree Surgeon||Call a Tree Surgeon|
The basic power saw style features front and back takes care of on an engine/motor real estate as well as a cutting bar that prolongs from the housing, yet there are variants. Standard power saws are best for larger work, like reducing entire trees as well as thick arm or legs, yet they can also be made use of for numerous lighter tasks.
These kinds of saws are typically the most effective, they have the fastest reach as well as require the use of a ladder to trim high tree branches.
Before you look for a chainsaw, think about the job you plan to do. The size and type of the timber you require to cut as well as your experience in using a chainsaw are all for you to consider when choosing the best saw.
Bar size is one way to judge a saw’s size as well as the work it can manage. A saw with a longer bar can reduce larger-diameter wood in a single pass. Bar lengths for the majority of homeowner saws vary from 6 inches on smaller electric saws to 20 inches on larger, gasoline-powered models. Professional-grade saws have bar lengths above 20 inches.
Engine variation (gasoline-powered models), voltage (cordless designs), amperage (corded designs) and horsepower likewise associate with power and also ability. The higher the numbers, the even more power the saw has. Power matters most if you’re dealing with big trees and also branches or reducing wood such as oak or maple.
A longer bar and larger electric motor or engine mean increased weight– something to consider if you require to make use of the saw for extensive periods. Bigger saws likewise develop a lot more vibration, take even more effort to manage and raise security worries. A smaller sized, much less effective saw will be much more manageable, particularly if you don’t have much experience.
While the size and also power help you establish the very best power saw for your work, a saw’s features can improve convenience, security, and also effectiveness as you reduced:
- Anti-vibration functions use a saw much more comfy as well as minimize tiredness. These systems are specifically helpful if you have a lot of reducing to do.
- Spring-assist starting minimizes the pulling force required to start a gasoline-powered saw.
- An automated oiler oils the chain as you cut– you don’t have to remember to activate it. Correct chain lubrication is required for risk-free and efficient cutting.
- A chain brake is made to quit the chain when the saw comes across a sudden movement or effect. On geared up versions, you can also manually activate the chain brake.
- Low-kickback bars, as well as chains, help reduce the risk of the saw being unexpectedly forced back and up.
- Tool-less chain modification allows you to change the reducing chain stress promptly and easily.
- An air-cleaning attribute expands air filter life by getting rid of large pieces of debris before they reach the filter.
- A carrying case protects the saw and also makes moving it simpler as well as safer.
Personal security devices are required when using any kind of power equipment. In addition to typical equipment, there is specialized safety equipment for use with a chainsaw:
- Leg defense such as men or cut-resistant pants
- A construction hat for security when cutting and also cutting overhead
- Handwear covers with boosted gripping surface areas and also reduce resistance
- Eye defense with side shields
- Hearing protection such as earplugs or earmuffs
- Boots or shoes with steel toes as well as nonskid soles
Best Budget Chainsaw
When you are looking for a budget priced chainsaw, you are probably looking for a chainsaw under the $200 mark. A great buy that incorporates not only a battery operated chainsaw but also falls well under the $200 mark is the Worx WG322 . This budget chainsaw gives you automatic chain lubrication and being just over 10lbs is lightweight and very easy to use. It also has the provision to add a 10 mtr pole to reach those hard to reach extension branches.
Best Chainsaw Sharpener
If you end up using your chainsaw a lot you may want to consider also buying a nifty addition to keep it churning that wood, a chainsaw sharpener.
For our review, we have teamed up with Best Of Machinery to bring you three excellent chainsaw sharpeners to add to your tool shed.
The Oregon 520-120 is one of the top chainsaw sharpeners you can buy. The Oregon 520 bench chainsaw has three different grinding wheels and can work with multiple chain sizes. It also has a built-in light to keep a close eye on your work.
At the budget end you can do no better than buying a Stihl 2 in 1 chain sharpener. This small and compact sharpener is easy to use and very transportable. It is also incredibly light and has great consistency and accuracy when sharpening.
Our final chainsaw sharpener is the Granberg G1012XT which is suitable for any chainsaw sharpening whichever model or size of chain.
The 24,000 rpm grinder attaches to your chainsaw and allows you to set precise sharpening angles and grinding depths.
To conclude then, adding a chainsaw to your range of tools can be a great addition if you have tree work to carry out on a regular basis. Don’t forget your safety equipment though and choose the right chainsaw for you. If you have regular chainsaw use you might also consider a sharpener to round it all off.